Thursday, January 13, 2011

NOTEBOOK ENTRY #3: MY CUTTING METHODS

Tomatoes-on-the-Vine
I am very particular about the way I like my tomato cut.  Anyone who has cooked with me knows this.  I like consistency and accuracy.  My method uses a pairing knife (which is to me very much like the x-acto knife I used to use for all my artwork) to carefully, but efficiently cut the tomato into strong little cubes.  When you try this method at home on a ripe tomato, you will see what I mean... these cubes are so sturdy and consistent in size that they will not lose their shape when mixed in guacamole nor will they be easily destroyed by even the most zealous chip dipper.  Now, let's get started.

Tomatoes-on-the-Vine are my personal favorite, but really any fat, ripe tomato will do.  I have recently been on a fairly tight budget, so I began buying those 4 packs of tomatoes from the grocery store.  They are not perfect, but they are not bad when you are paying only $2.50 for the lot of them.  If you can head over to BJ's or Costco, however, grab a six pack of the Tomato-on-the-Vine.  It will be well worth it to your tastebuds.


Our first order of business is removing the stem.  Take your knife and cut a small circle around the stem, much as you would a pumpkin before carving.  This will allow you to pop it out neatly with one gentle twist.  You are now prepared for removal of what I refer to as "the guts" (once again, like a pumpkin(I suggest carefully pulling the tomato from the vine and cutting a small circle around the stem (much as you would with a pumpkin before carving).  This allows you to pop it out with a gentle twist and prepares you for removal of what I refer to as "the guts." (once again, like a pumpkin). 

No comments:

Post a Comment