Monday, July 25, 2011

MIDNIGHT IN PARIS: A Film for the Nostalgic Romantic

Tonight was brilliant.  Having heard from multiple sources that Woody Allen's latest masterpiece, Midnight in Paris, was the perfect film for a girl of my taste and cultural education I ventured out to one of the few obscure theaters that were playing it in NJ.

If you know me at all, you understand that even without my profound love for Woody Allen's work, I could never resist a film about a modern-day writer and nostalgic romantic for 1920s Paris (in the rain).

This particular dreamer stumbles out of a bad day with his fiancee (who is preoccupied with an obnoxious know-it-all douchebag dripping with pretention) and finds himself traveling through time on a journey of self discovery and creative inspiration with the help of various musicians, artists, poets, and novelists whom he views as idols.

Although I absolutely loved the film for its culturally literate references, it is not something I can imagine those who are not well versed in literature, art, music, and the culture of that time period would find interesting or stimulating.  However, if you are a fan of Picasso, Rodin, Hemingway, Cole Porter, or F. Scott Fitzgerald... and of course, Woody Allen... you should take the hour and a half out of your day to sit down with a box of Junior Mints and see this film in the theaters.

Let me know your opinion of the film once you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment