Monday, November 21, 2011
Spinach & Chive Linguine in Impromptu Pesto
My family decided that it would be best kept simple with a bit of olive oil, but that wasn't for me. I was, however, inspired by the idea and decided that it has been far too long since I've last made pesto! But what was I going to do? I didn't have any fresh basil!
That's okay, though. My winter reserve of dried Basil served just fine.
While the linguine cooked, I quickly dug through my cabinets for some sea salt and black pepper to grind, the aforementioned dried sweet basil, some extra virgin olive oil, and my trusty blender. From the fridge, I snagged two fresh garlic cloves, some grated (vegan) parmesan, a container of Shedd's Spread Country Crock, and my stash of hempseed left over from my summer pesto.
HOW TO MAKE THE IMPROMPTU PESTO:
- scoop 2-3 tablespoon-balls of country crock into a cup
- add 2-3 tablespoons of grated (vegan) parmesan
- melt/soften the mixture in the microwave for 10 seconds on High
- mince two fresh, peeled garlic cloves and add to mixture
WHAT TO BLEND:
- country crock, parmesan, and garlic mixture
- 3 tablespoons of hempseed
- 3 tablespoons of dried sweet basil
- 3-5 tablespoons of olive oil
- fresh ground sea salt & black pepper to taste
After blending all these ingredients into a thick paste, add this glorious concoction to the drained linguine and stir, keeping the pot on low heat. The outcome should be a creamy, chunky, lactose-free and nut-free pesto over spinach & chive linguine. Serve with some garlic toast for a quick and easy any-time meal! DEEEEE-LISH!