Every time I go away, I am faced with the same dilemma... what to do about ALL the fresh food and goodies I've stocked up in my fridge. Well, thank heaven for our little Academy Awards get-together this evening which gave me the opportunity to utilize my groceries by creating some edible art on an olive oil gessoed thin crust canvas.
Quick, simple, and pretty much Paleo, you just can't go wrong with a "Garbage Pie!" (or for all you vegans & veggies out there, it's more of a "Compost Pie")
SO WHAT'S ON THIS "PRETTY MUCH PALEO COMPOST PIE?"
- Thin Crust (make it fresh or buy it... I won't tell)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (and lots of it!)
- Fresh Garlic (minced)
- Fresh Broccoli (sliced in half so one side's flat)
- Fresh Green Peppers (cut into slivers)
- Turkey Pepperoni (or a vegan substitute)
- Marinara Sauce of your choosing
- Dried Oregano, Basil, and Black Pepper
THERE'S A METHOD TO MY MADNESS!
- Preheat the oven to 450 while you prep.
- Cover the crust in Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Grind black pepper all over the crust to your liking.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce across your crust.
- Mince 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic and distribute evenly on sauce.
- Starting at the center, place turkey pepperoni slices in a spiral pattern moving outward. If you like it a lot, overlap it. If it's just for flavor, don't... or (of course) you can omit it all together and disregard this step.
- Spread a second layer of sauce on top of the pepperoni (if you omitted them, don't bother. you'll end up with a mouthful of sauce)
- Slice your green pepper (or red pepper) into thin strips and angle them outward from the center of the pizza so that it's easier to cut later on.
- Cut the bottom of the stems and slice your fresh broccoli in half, placing the flat side down and distributing it between the pepper slivers on your pizza.
- Add Veggie Shreds (Mozzarella Flavor) generously to the top of your pie.
- Season with Basil and Oregano... and maybe a little more pepper & EVOO.
In a perfect world, I would have thought to add some Hempesto & drizzled it all over the top... but as we all know, nothing's perfect... it can just taste damn near close to it!
- Baking time! Pop that bad boy in to your 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes!
- Remove from oven, place on a cooling rack and LET COOL.
- Use a pizza cutter or very sharp knife to slice into 6-8 slices.
- Serve and enjoy! Om nom nom nom!
Your pizza will come out with golden crust, your veggie shreds will have melted enough to be gooey without losing their form, and your veggies should be crispy and crunch for you to enjoy!
Once again, as with any other recipe, feel free to modify and alter the recipe to fit your own taste. Add balsamic marinated portobello mushroom caps! Add zucchini! Add eggplant! Whatever you please! Just enjoy your pretty much paleo and pretty darn healthy pizza.