Wednesday, May 9, 2012

30 DAY SHRED: DAY 2/30

WORKOUT EXPERIMENT (CONTINUED) - Welcome everyone to Day #2 of THE 30 DAY SHRED CHALLENGE.  That wedding's coming up in five short weeks and I've got a long way to go before I can can properly rock that dress and dance the night away.  Recovery from Day #1 was moderate with a little bit of lower back pain from the stress of lifting weights and skipping yoga practice for the day.  I also experienced some soreness in the back of my thighs while climbing the escalator at work, but that was the good sort of sore.  Throughout the day, I found myself doing a lot of forward bends to stretch my hamstrings and lower back because I am pretty sure that my hammies went into shock after yesterday's workout.  Regardless, I counted down the hours until I could set 20 minutes aside and challenge myself to the workout for a second time.

THE WORKOUT
Knowing well enough what I had ahead of me, I mentally prepped myself for the workout this time and it flew by twice as quickly (or so it seemed) than yesterday's.  I muscled through the strength cycles that gave me trouble previously and actually burst out laughing at one point during the cardio because my legs were starting to turn into (what felt like) jelly.  Nevertheless, I made it through and stayed strong, focusing on taking the weight off my knees and lower back to prevent further injuring them.  Now, Jillian's cool-down just doesn't do it for me and after the pain I experienced because of my tight hammies all day, I decided to add some mild vinyasa yoga flow to balance out my exercise routine.  I ran through a brief Ashtanga series consisting of one cycle of Surya Namaskara A (Sun Salutation) and then a cycle of Surya Namaskara B (Second Sun Salutation) with an added Warrior II and reach back to Peaceful Warrior before returning to Chaturanga Dandasana on one leg.  I made sure to do both sides for balance.

HOW I'M FEELING AFTERWARD
Well, I can say that the yogic stretching helped out a lot, but I can also say that after all that imaginary jump roping my calves are getting cranky!  I spent the last year leaning out my calves into a nice streamline curve though yoga, so introducing some new motion and exercise to them is obviously disrupting their stretched relaxation by asking them to do some work.  They've been beautifully lazy all this time!  My thighs are also protesting my continuation of the Shred.  They remind me how exhausted I've made them by shooting some soreness through the front, back, and inner thigh every time I try to sit, stand, or move in any direction for that matter.  They asked me today if I remembered that I haven't run track in eight years... I grumbled right back at them.  I have to say, (after shuffling my sore legs around the house to make dinner) that I now understand why people who play sports are always waddling around and sliding their feet in those flipflops and baggy sweats... their legs are obviously in protest.  On the upside, my arms feel awesome and the workout made my Chaturanga Dandasanas feel like as a feather coming down.

TODAY'S STATS: DAY 2/30
  • Height: 5'4
  • Weight: 134lbs
  • Thighs: 21 inches (L) | 22 inches (R)
  • Hips: 38 inches
  • Waist: 28 inches
  • Bust: 36 inches
  • Biceps: 12 inches (L/R) 

LOOKING AHEAD
I gave myself three days to orient my body to this workout before returning to yoga and meshing the two into a full-on daily routine.  I am also estimating 10 days per intensity level (1, 2, 3) give or take a day or two depending on how much I like (or am less of a fan of) workouts L2 and L3.  Hopefully I will be able to find some balance in my workout routine over time.  Ultimately I hope to build stamina and muscle tone by subjecting my body to this sort of insanity so that I can be fully prepped and feeling strong for my future YTT (Yoga Teacher Training) as well as my anticipated potential return to school.  Just like in yoga, starting with a strong base is key to balance and stability in all aspects of life... be it in yoga asanas, in a career, or in relationships.  I am doing this workout to build strength, confidence, stability, and patience.

JOIN IN ON THE CHALLENGE!
If you want to join in on the 30 Day Shred Challenge, then grab a copy at your local retailer or online (Barnes & Noble is selling it for $10.50 or less!) and start keeping a journal of your progress!  If you're blogging about it, leave a comment with the link here!  Let's keep each other motivated!

CHECK OUT MY PROGRESS
Day 1

No comments:

Post a Comment