Here's a super easy (and super spicy) five ingredient meal for under $5. Nothing fancy here, but it sure looks and tastes it. Prep takes nearly no time and uses up barely any ingredients for a fairly filling yet light and healthy dinner. Ready to raid your fridge for the ingredients? I'll bet you have them. The only tricky one is the quinoa, but that's not in the fridge anyway, it's in the pantry. :)
WHAT TO GATHER UP:
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Quinoa (with 1 cup water)
- Spicy Salsa of choice
- Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil (so the egg doesn't stick to the pan)
- Your favorite Hot Sauce (Sriracha, Gochujang, your pick!)
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil, add 1/2 cup Quinoa, cover and lower heat, let simmer, stir occasionally. When the water disappears and the quinoa is swollen and fluffy, turn flame off.
- Coat a small frying pan with Canola (or Vegetable) Oil, heat pan on low flame. Crack egg directly into pan, ditch the shell, and cover, keeping flame on low heat. WATCH IT. Let it cook until the white gets fluffy and solid and the yolk is thick but not firm.
- Empty quinoa from the pot and into a bowl, add desired amount of Spicy Salsa and Hot Sauce. Stir until integrated. Smell your concoction, enjoy the savory, spicy aroma!
- Use a spatula to place the Sunny Side Up Egg on top of your bed of Spicy Quinoa and dress with Hot Sauce to add a kick and make it look pretty.
- Eat up! Enjoy!
Obviously if you're not into spicy, find a variation using a more mild salsa and sauce of your choosing... but either way, enjoy a meal for one (or two) for under $5 that takes less than 15 minutes to prep that is light, flavorful, and great for the body.